Monday, February 9, 2009

Player Spotlight - Sophomore Ellie Van Sant




Name: Ellie Van Sant
Class: 2011
Hometown: Chevy Chase, MD
High School: The Taft School (CT)
Uniform #: 15
Majors: Undecided
Favorite Color: Pink/blue
Favorite Food: Cereal and Lemons (I put lemon on anything and everything!)




What led you to attend and play lacrosse at W&L?
-When I was younger I used to come to the summer lacrosse camp here with my sisters and friends. Before I was even thinking about college I fell in love with W&L! In the beginning of my senior year of High School I still wasn’t sure if I was going to play lacrosse in college. After visiting W&L again and meeting with Jan, I knew I wanted to come to W&L and play lacrosse--it was the perfect school academically, socially, and athletically!

How did you spend this past summer?
-I love spending time with kids, so this past summer I taught swimming lessons at a camp during the day and babysat during some nights. I also went on vacation with my family to the Adirondacks and the beach.

What is the best class you have taken so far at W&L? Why?
-The best class I have taken so far was an environmental studies elective “The World is What We Eat.” This class focused on the impact of human’s consumption on the environment and the changes we can make to reduce our destruction and save the environment. We went on various field trips around the Rockbridge area visiting farms, gardens, etc!

What is your favorite non-lax activity at W&L?
-Definitely spending time with my friends! I love going out to lunch, going on drives, going to Goshen, and watching movies with my friends.

What is your favorite Lexington Restaurant? Why?
-Bluesky!! The best bagels I have ever had and I can always count on having a delicious meal.

Best W&L lax memory?
-Beating Middlebury!! I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a team that excited!

What does W&L lax mean to you?
-W&L lax has come to mean so many things to me it is hard to explain. Although it is challenging at times, it has created a balance in my life here and W&L. Never before have I been a part of a team like ours, and it is one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Our entire team is so close, I truly feel like I have another family in which each member cares about every person on the team. I have never met a more amazing group of girls!

What was the last book you read for pleasure?
-My Sisters Keeper-It was sad, but I really enjoyed it.

Any other fun facts about yourself you’d like to share?
-I love to watch hockey (The Washington Capitals) and LOVE elephants.