Monday, July 27, 2009

Emmy Mathews' London Summer

This week, we are catching up with junior midfielder Emmy Mathews (Baltimore, MD/Bryn Mawr School) who is spending the summer taking finance courses at the London School of Economics:
What made you want to spend your summer in London?
Playing two sports, I knew I wasn't going to be able to study abroad for an entire semester but I knew that I wanted to have an abroad experience. Going to London and taking a Finance class at the London School of Economics, I knew I would get a european perspective on Finance and also be more prepared for my Business Administration major.

When did you arrive in London, how long will you be staying?
I left for London on July 3rd and will be there for the month of July. My course only lasts three weeks and after that is finished I am traveling to Barcelona for a weekend and Prague for my remaining three days in Europe.

Where are you currently living? Will you be traveling anywhere else?
Right now I am living in a LSE dorm on High Holborn St. It's a very convenient location, right next to Covent Garden and close to Leiscester Square, Piccadilly Circus, and many of the theatres in London. I walk only five minutes to class and can walk to most of the museums as well. This weekend I am traveling to Turnberry, Scotland to see the British Open. I have a ticket for Saturday and then am planning on watching Sunday's round in Turnberry somewhere.

What does your normal day look like?
On weekdays I have lecture from 10-1. After grabbing lunch, I have class from 2-3 in the afternoon where, in smaller groups, we go over problem sets. After class I usually find something touristy to do around the city. My favorite museums so far have been the Victoria and Albert Museum which has some AMAZING decorative arts and the British Museum. I have been to the British Museum twice and there is still so much more of the building to explore!

What has been the best part of your time in London so far?
My favorite part of London so far has definitely been taking in the sights. From walking all around the city, I have absorbed so much culture and gotten to see so many things that are just incredible. In the National Gallery, in one of the what seems like thousands of rooms, Van Gogh's "The Sunflowers" is just hanging out on a wall next to some other paintings. It amazes me that or free I can just go in and look at paintings as famous as that one. It really blows my mind.

What has been the most challenging part of your trip so far?
The most challenging part has definitely been trying not to spend so much money! The exchange rate is currently around 1.7, and it's been really hard to stay within a budget especially because I want to cram so much in while I am here for just a month.
See you all soon!