Monday, April 12, 2010

Allison Gockley '08's First Year in Med School

Time to catch up with alumnae! This week we heard from 2008 graduate Allison Gockley on her experiences as a First-Year Med Student:

1.Where are you in Med. School?
Allison: Im in Hershey Pa, at Penn State Medical School.

2. How did your first semester go and are you feeling more adjusted in second semester?
Allison:
I love med school! The people at Penn State are really amazing – they are all passionate and hard-working, but know how to relax and let loose when we have the chance. The hardest part was anatomy when we learned the whole human body structure in 11 weeks – it was like the boot camp part of medical school.

3. Have you thought about what concentration of medicine you'd like to focus on?
Allison:
I’m trying to keep my options open, but if I had to choose today, I would be an orthopedic surgeon. I am fascinated by the field and I could potentially get to work with athletes! Pretty early in med school people decide whether they are a “thinker” or a “doer”. Thinkers become great diagnosticians and doers become surgeons. Most athletes are doers, so I think surgery fits my personality really well!

4. Did you always know that you wanted to be a doctor?
Allison:
Probably not always – I was convinced I was going to be an astronaut for a while as a kid. But since middle school, I’ve been really intrigued by medicine and the positive impact that it can have on others.

5. What do you do in your free time (if you have any!)?
Allison:
Actually, I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of free time I have. My friends and I recently took up rock climbing – which is a really great challenge. I also just ran my first half-marathon. I’m also really looking forward to this summer since I am traveling to India to work at a rural health hospital. Last week I also got to throw around with a friend who also played lacrosse – I miss it so much!

6. Have you kept up with women's lax alumnae?
Allison: Yes! I came to the F&M game this year and got to see some alumnae there and since many alumnae are in DC, it is easy to visit for a weekend!

7. What's the biggest thing you miss about W&L and/or Lexington?
Allison: I can’t pick just one! I miss the mountains and sandwiches from Blue Sky, Indian runs, sunshine drill, dynamic warmup and living at Utah! Most of all I miss the people, I’m learning that the mentors and friends at W&L are really unique and hard to replicate elsewhere!

8. Anything else you'd like Generals fans, players, parents and alumnae to know?
Allison: Good Luck Gennies – WOMP!