Monday, August 9, 2010

Katharine Farrar '11's Summer on Campus

This week we are checking in with co-captain Katharine Farrar '11 (Lexington, VA/Episcopal HS) regarding her summer working on campus at W&L as a part of the R.E. Lee Summer Research Projects:
1) How have you been spending your summer?
I have been working on campus in the Tucker Multimedia Center. My job this summer was to help develop a course that will be offered in the Education department; Methods in Teaching a Foreign Language. My main job in the development of this course was to create the student teaching unit. This opportunity was part of the R.E. Lee Summer Research Project here on campus.

2) How long have you been working on campus?
My work started on June 7th and will work for eight weeks total.

3) Where are you living?
I have been living with my parents in town this summer…I had to take advantage of the home cooked meals!!!!

4) What does your normal day look like?
I usually wake up around 8, get into work by 9, take a break for lunch and then work through the afternoon until I head to the gym. I mostly work on the computer all day; creating word documents, websites, lesson plans etc.

5) What has been the best part of your experience so far?
I would say that the best part of my experience so far would have to be that I am actually applying things I have learned in my classes over the past 3 years into something concrete. It is rewarding to know that there is a final product from the work I have put in this summer.

6) What has been the most challenging part of your experience?
Learning how to create a web page through the server that W&L uses has been the most challenging part of my experience. I am not too tech savvy when it comes to that sort of thing…I usually rely on Wilton, our handy dandy University Help Desk teammate, to do those things for me.
7) Is there anything else that you would like to share with teammates, alums and other blog readers?
I can’t wait to see everyone in the fall!!!