Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mary-Kate Geratowski Hired as New Assistant Coach

Hello Generals Lax Fans!


My name is Mary-Kate, or MK, Geratowski and I am the new assistant women's lacrosse coach here at Washington and Lee. I am so excited to join the staff here at W&L and can't wait for the girls to get back on campus so we can really get started. I've spent my first month on staff learning the ropes in the office, meeting some of the girls at camp, traveling to recruit and work more camps, and generally keeping busy. So now, a little bit about me...


I grew up in White River Jct., VT and attended Hartford High School where I played field hockey, ice hockey, and of course lacrosse. After graduation I moved on to Elmira College in upstate New York where I played lacrosse and ice hockey for the Soaring Eagles. As a member of the ice hockey team I was a part of two ECAC West championship teams and enjoyed three trips to the NCAA tournament including hosting the final four my freshman year. While I loved ice hockey, as a senior I decided that lacrosse needed to take priority. With the help of two great coaches I made the transition to a student assistant coach for the hockey team while captaining my lacrosse team and finally experiencing preseason. As a laxer at EC I was able to help our team to two Empire 8 tournament appearances as well as an appearance in the ECAC tournament. As a senior midfielder I was voted team MVP and named to the Empire 8 All-Sportsmanship team. I graduated from Elmira with a degree in English Literature and Secondary Education as well as my initial certification for teaching grades 7-12 in New York States.


Since being a two sport athlete did not allow me to travel abroad during my college years, I took the year following graduation to make that happen. Through the English Lacrosse Association I spent the year in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, England teaching and coaching at the Princess Helena College. While I was in England I was able to continue to play for the Hitchin Sprites club and the East England Regional team. I was also able to travel around Europe visiting Italy, Ireland, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Amsterdam, and Scotland.


The Princess Helena College


Two of my former club players and I at a tournament in England.


When I returned from England I jumped right into college coaching working as the assistant at Connecticut College in New London, CT. While at Conn I worked as the defensive coordinator for the team. Following my year as a Camel I moved to Richmond, VA to pursue my masters degree in Sport Leadership at Virginia Commonwealth University while working as a volunteer assistant coach at the University of Richmond. At UR I also worked as the defensive coordinator for the Spiders helping them to the Atlantic 10 Championship game.


This summer I have been working camps all over the East coast and coaching a club team while patiently waiting to hear if Brooke was going to hire me on as a General. I am incredibly excited to be here at W&L and to be able to work with a team that has accomplished so much in its past and has such an exciting future ahead of it!



Please make sure to check back each Wednesday for an update on what else has gone on with some of the rest of the team this summer, as well as Fall updates, and much more!


Go Generals!