Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Generals Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving from the W&L women’s lacrosse team! This week we decided to share some Thanksgiving stories from our very own Gennies.

Thanksgiving Traditions:


Adele Irwin ‘15-
“This year I am going to Maine to see all of my 25 cousins on my dad's side. Whenever I have lobster with my cousins we race them before we boil them, so we each get a lobster and a stick and poke them and race them across the kitchen. It's kind of inhumane but it's funny and lobster is my favorite food.”

Wow, Adele. Best of luck to your lobster in the race…!

Caroline Kingsbery ‘13-
“We go to our favorite market down the Jersey Shore- it's a farm called Delicious Orchards-the day before Thanksgiving to get apple pie, apple sauce cake, apple cider, and apple cider doughnuts.” 

Save some apple goodies for us, CK!

Becca Dean ’16- 
“My cousins and I are super into Black Friday shopping. We get in line outside the stores around midnight to get the best deals. We’re very competitive.”

We like that competitive spirit, Becca!

Thanksgiving Gone Wrong:


Sammy Yates ‘15-
“One Thanksgiving when I was 10, I was helping my dad move firewood in the morning and got wood in my eye. We tried everything and couldn't get it out all day so we went to dinner at my cousins... My aunt made me an eye patch to wear because it hurt to open my eye. I was finally taken to the ER at like 8pm and had to get my eyeball numbed, and the wood removed. I had a scratched cornea and had to wear an eye patch for about a week!”

We’re sure you rocked that eye patch, Sammy!

Cara Mulligan ‘15-
"One year, mashed potatoes were on top of our stove after they had been baked. Little did we know, the stove was on, and the whole thing exploded…mashed potatoes were ALL over the kitchen."

What’s better than a kitchen covered in mashed potatoes? Yum!

We hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving full of family, food, and fun!
-Cara Mulligan and Melissa Coggins