Monday, May 25, 2009

Life After Graduation for 2009 Captain Katie Flippen

After a summer at home in Norfolk, Va., I will begin working at the end of August for SNL Financial in Charlottesville, Va. I interned with them last summer and had a great experience. The company is a fun place to work and many of my co-workers are young 20-somethings, just out of college. SNL is considered a financial information and technology company. It provides market data and news specifically on four major industries, and a lot of people compare its major functions to Bloomberg, although they are somewhat different.

I will work for SNL as an analyst. My main priorities will be helping SNL's clients (mostly investment banks, corporate executives, asset managers, and government agencies) use the company's products. SNL's clients subscribe to SNL which means I will be working on collaborative projects involving SNL's products-- similar to customer relations management. I will also help to produce newsletters and provide data analysis. I think it will be a great way to learn about the financial industry and to gain valuable experience, without high-paced stress of Wall Street.

Also, I'm very excited to live in Charlottesville because it's a great city and there will be lots of graduate students to hang out with! And, I'll be closer to home in Norfolk, AND its only an hour from Lexington, so I can come back for a bunch of games!