Monday, June 8, 2009

Checking-in with 2008 Graduate Allison Gockley

While I really miss W&L and especially the lax team, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that I have been very busy as usual in my first year “in the real world”. Besides the occasional trip to Lexington and visiting Kat in Aspen, one of the highlights of this year was my medical mission trip to Guatemala this spring. I traveled to several villages in Guatemala with 20 other people from my church setting up clinics to provide basic medical care to people most of who have never seen a doctor in their life. Guatemala is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, but most of the people live in complete poverty without running water or nutritious food, let alone medical care. While we saw a ton of patients with a wide variety of needs, the highlight for me was definitely doing cool procedures with the surgeon who came on the trip. I got to give injections and cut with a scalpel and all kinds of gross stuff (I spare you all the details)! We also had the opportunity to build a new home for a widow with six children. I was involved in digging the foundation and while I’m pretty sure I have never been as dusty as I was afterwards, everyone was impressed with my pickaxe skills, which I attributed to playing lax of course. I am excited to begin medical school at Penn State this fall and know that W&L has given me a great foundation for all that is to come. Glad to hear that the W&L lax team had another great year and as always…L4L!