Monday, August 17, 2009

Britten Mathews' Marketing Internship in Washington, DC

Senior attacker Britten Mathews (Richmond, VA/Collegiate) is spending her summer interning for AARP in Washington, DC - let's hear more about her experience thus far:
1) What are you doing this summer, what made you decide to take this position?
I am working in the Member Exhibits Division for AARP in DC this summer. My main focus is event planning and marketing AARP’s National Event- Vegas@50+ which will take place in October in Las Vegas. We estimate to have about 30,000 attendees and 500 exhibitors. I knew this job would be great experience because it involved a large, well known organization in the D.C. headquarters. I have been exposed to many angles of the marketing and event planning industry and to AARP’s approach to these.

2) When did you begin your job how long will you be there this summer?
I started my job on June 8th and will finish August 14th. I will also attend the Vegas@50+ event October 22-24, 2009 which will be great additional exposure. I am most excited to see this summer’s work come together on site in Vegas.

3) Where are you living?
I am living in Georgetown with 4 UNC- Chapel Hill graduates. We live in a house very close to the Observatory so it is very common for me to either hear or see VP Biden’s motorcade. I also can see the National Cathedral from our upstairs and the church bells are clearly heard on Sundays. I have enjoyed D.C. and the city feel- definitely a great experience outside of the Lexington bubble. I would love to return to D.C. after graduation! 4) What does your normal day look like?
I work from 9-5 every day and have my own cubical (unfortunately not near any windows). I have a 15 minute walk to the metro each morning and about a 15 minute metro ride. I am fully responsible for updating and marketing the Vegas@50+ National Event through the social networks including Facebook, Twitter, and AARP’s Online Community. I communicate directly with the exhibitors for Vegas@50+, updating their company’s listings and helping them organize their booth space. I am also in charge of certain pages that will be published in the event’s Program Book. My team has done a phenomenal job of challenging me each day yet taking me under their wings and educating me on their industry.
5) What has been the best part of your job so far?
My most rewarding experience so far was an event we planned on Capitol Hill for a division of AARP. It was a Health Action Now Lobby 3-Day Event on the Hill which I was a part of from day one until its closing. Watching all of our work come together on site was very rewarding and the best hands-on experience I could ask for from an internship. I look forward to a similar experience in October when I travel out to Las Vegas.

6) What has been the most challenging part of your job so far?
The most challenging aspect of my job has been admitting that I do not know how to do everything. Asking for help and accepting that some things will not be perfectly correct was difficult at first. However, because our team works very well together this challenge has been easier to overcome.
7) Is there anything else that you would like to share with your teammates or other blog readers?
While it will be sad to leave D.C., I am looking forward to returning to Lexington and to beginning another great lacrosse season with the team! I cannot believe it is already senior year!