Monday, August 31, 2009

Anna Pobletts' Summer in the Lab

Sophomore Defender Anna Pobletts (Sykesville, MD/Century H.S.) has spent her summer interning in Baltimore with the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab. We caught up with Anna to hear about her hard work this summer and a little vacation time too:
1) What are you doing this summer what made you decide to take this position?
Anna: This summer I am working at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab. I got this job from an internship I had during my senior year of high school. APL (Applied Physics Lab) works on a lot of really cool stuff like space shuttles to Pluto, missiles and fighter planes for the military and video game simulations that can be used for both school teachers and military training.

2) When did you begin your job and how long will you be there this summer?
Anna: I started the week after school ended (June 8) and it ends August 28. So I'm here basically all summer.

3) Where are you living?
Anna:
I'm living at home since APL is only about 30 minutes from my house.

4) What does your normal day look like?
Anna:
I am a computer science major and I am doing a lot of programming at the Lab so my day usually consists of writing code at my desk or having meetings. It is all very business-like and it's pretty interesting. I get to work on a project that will help the Department of Defense(DoD) decide what systems (planes, ships, sensors, weapons, etc) they should use in battle.

5) What has been the best part of your job so far?
Anna: The best part is when we get to work with the other interns. I get to work with the other 200 interns here and find out about a lot of really cool things that are going on at the Lab with tours and demos and etc.
6) What has been the most challenging part of your job so far?
Anna: The hardest part of the job is that I am teaching myself Java, which is a programming language. It is difficult but very rewarding when I figure something out!
7) What have you been doing outside of work this summer?
Anna: I work full time and every day I start early in the morning so I definitely sleep a lot when I'm not at work! I've also been hanging out with a lot of friends from home and some W&L friends who have visited. I'm actually on vacation at the beach in Georgia as I'm writing this! Here's a picture of my cousin and me at a church in Savannah where a new Miley Cyrus movie is being filmed (I'm a huge fan).
8) Is there anything else that you would like to share with your teammates or other blog readers?
Anna: Since my job is at a government classified lab, I'm not allowed to take pictures inside my job. You can get a better feel of what APL is all about from their website, http://www.jhuapl.edu/.