Monday, November 23, 2009

Catching up with Amanda Strickler '06 in Washington, DC

This week we're catching up with 2006 graduate Amanda Strickler on how she's enjoying life and work in Washington, DC:

What made you decide to move to Washington, DC?
Amanda:
After living abroad for the better part of the last three years, I wanted to be fairly close to family and friends. A career may have had something to do with the choice as well...

When did you move?
Amanda:
June 2009

Where are you living in the city?
Amanda: Alexandria, VA-southwest of D.C.

Where are you working?
Amanda: The L-3 Services Group

What’s your favorite part about living in our nation’s capital?
Amanda: The vibrant, upbeat, and exciting atmosphere. There is always something to do in D.C.

What’re the biggest adjustments you’ve made since moving?
Amanda:
The cost of living in the D.C. area - I am accustomed to Lexington prices...Additionally, I am now without my annual RCHS "Drive Your Tractor to School Day" viewing.

What do you like to do in your spare time and on weekends?
Amanda:
I love to walk around D.C. and discover the city. The outdoor farmers markets, museum exhibits and events on the mall-there is constant change. I'm also taking an art class in Alexandria which has been fun. But when I'm not feeling cultural, I put on my #3 penny, UA Shorts, white lighting turfs, and gogs and spend hours pelting lax balls at small woodland creatures.

Still keeping in touch with your fellow Generals’ alums?
Amanda: Yes! They will all tell you that I suffer from a correspondence handicap, but I think we do a good job of talking and getting together. We're hoping to have another laxy reunion sometime in 2010.

Anything else you’d like to share with Generals fans, players, parents and alums?
Amanda: Go Gennies! Stab and Kick! Also I am currently without a camera so I'm sorry for no pictures!