Monday, November 16, 2009

Kathy Brown's Term Abroad in Cortona, Italy

This week we heard from Junior Kathy Brown (Baltimore,MD/Catonsville HS) about how much she's loving her time abroad in Italy:

Where are you studying abroad in Italy?
Kathy: My study abroad program is located in Cortona, Italy. Cortona is in an part of Tuscany about an hour or two outside of both Florence and Rome. If I were to provide a visual that anyone at W&L could relate to, I'd say that the town would be similar to a Lexington that was built on the side of House Mountain (only about 2000 years older). The view from this mountaintop town allows me to see most of the Tuscan valley and all the way into Umbria.

What made you choose this location?
Kathy:
I ended up choosing the UGA- Cortona program for a number or reasons. I seriously considered going with Syracuse's Florence program, but a large part of me thought that I would miss out on a more relaxed, authentic atmosphere. My art major adviser actually recommended the Cortona program to me and from there it really seemed like a no brainer. After all I am used to going to school in small-town Lexington, so Florence would have been an even bigger change.
Are you happy with your decision?
Kathy: I have been here for over two months now and I have very little to complain about. There are 48 people in my program and I think the thing that everyone has the biggest problem with is the food. Funny concept right? Actually the problem with the food is not that it is bad, but rather that we are served too much of it. On a more serious note though, this program is very well-established. When we first arrived, we flew into Rome and traveled to Florence from there. They exhausted us with sights and visits to more museums than you can imagine. I thought they were crazy, but when we arrived in Cortona it became quite clear that it was all a ploy. They had exhausted us intentionally knowing that Cortona would be that breath of fresh air at the end. A place that felt more homey. I don't think anyone here has regretted not being in a big city after that. The UGA set-up is also very inclusive, from the meals to the field trips I would be hard-pressed to find another program that provides this much for me (and at this cost). I also love, love, love my professors. W&L is not too shabby either, but it is good to get out and experience other styles of teaching. Especially with regards to the art department. The art department is pretty small, but this semester has taught me so much already. The professors here come from all types of backgrounds and they have really exposed me to the possibilities available in the art world. OH! and I have met so many people from all over the U.S. Yes my program is small but we have people from California, Montana, new Mexico, Fargo, you name it and we have the region covered. If I had to do it all over again, maybe I would have signed up to come in the summer and the fall.

What is your living situation like there?
Kathy:
My living situation is pretty fabulous. I live in an old monastery that was converted into a dormitory. The dorm is located on one of the highest points in town and the view out of my bedroom window is just wild. (Did I mention that it is one of the highest points in town? Yes, I essentially scale a mountain every time I have to walk back to our building. There have been days when I didn't think I was going to make it.) Anyway I have two roommates that are both from Maine and they very kindly gave me two beds...well a bunk-bed all to myself. That may sound luxurious but I cannot actually sit up in my own bed. Luckily most of my work has to be done in the studios anyway. My bathroom situation is another story, but lets just it has the European touch.
Have you done a lot of travelling thus far/do you plan to travel more?
Kathy:
Well as I said the program started off with a few days spent in Rome and Florence. A car backed into me in Rome and the gypsies stalked me in Florence. We saw just about every sight there was to see in those two cities. My favorite events from that week were probably wandering around in Trastevere, Rome and sitting by the Tiber River at night (the Trevi fountain was also really neat at night). In Florence, the gelato at Vitello's and climbing the Duomo. Additionally every weekend we take field trips to different Italian towns for my art history class. I have been to Viterbo, Orvieto, Urbino, Gubbio, Arezzo, Assisi, Perugia, Pienza, Montepulciano, San Gimingano and Volterra. Out of those towns I thought that the Orvieto Duomo and Orvieto Underground (caves) were neat, Pienza felt like you were in a poppy up fairytale book and Arezzo had a particularly great antique market. I have also been to Lake Traismeno. My parents came this past week and we went there for the day. The lake is huge and monumental looking. AS for the remaining field trips, I am going to Bevagna and Torgiano tomorrow, then Siena and Naples in a few weeks. Last but not least I am going to hop around in Spain for a week. Spending a few days in Barcelona, then jetting off to Sevilla to spend Thanksgiving with Katharine and Shwilton!!!

What has been the biggest adjustment/challenge you've faced in living in Italy?
Kathy:
Well I'd say it has been an adjustment not playing field hockey this year. I think I needed to take this time for Italy, but a part of me was sorry that I had to leave the team.
The cultural adjustment hasn't been more than I can handle. Yes, I used to get stared down when I would go for my runs in Nike and Under Armour but that's nothing too serious.

What classes are you taking?
Kathy: Over here I am taking Italian Language, Renaissance Art History, Painting and Printmaking.
Have you come across any familiar faces in your travels?
Kathy:
Familiar faces, well my parents came to visit and a friend from school is stopping by next week but no pleasant surprises. I guess you could say that the Madonna and child has popped up in more places than I ever imagined.
Besides familiar faces from home, I see many of the same townspeople everyday, so in that regard the faces here have become familiar.

Anything else you’d like Generals fans, parents, players and alums to know?
Kathy:
If they know of anyone looking for a good art program they should look into going with UGA. My time here has been incredible and I am going to be a mess when I have to leave in a month. I am already really grateful for this experience. It has probably been the best thing that I have done in my academic career.