Monday, December 21, 2009

Lisa Dowling Costello '93 - Catching Up With W&L's 1st All-American

This week we heard about how former Generals Women's Lacrosse player Lisa Dowling Costello '93 is enjoying life in Baltimore, MD and staying in touch with the game:

1. Where do you currently live?

Lisa: In Baltimore, where I grew up.

2. In what career field are you currently working?

Lisa: I am currently working in retail – actually two separate part time jobs. One is for a friend and W&L classmate of mine, Josh Levinson, who owns a running store called Charm City Run (check out their web site!!) The other is for a jewelry store in my neighborhood. I also coach lacrosse in the spring at Notre Dame Prep.

3.Have you been in the same area/career field since graduation?

Lisa: No I taught school here for 5 years and then left to have my daughter, Lilly, who is now 9.

4.What do you like to do in your free time?

Lisa: Wow, hard to say. I am trying to become a more enthusiastic runner although as Jan Hathorn can attest, that day may never come. In the summer, we are big beach people!

5. What has been the biggest milestone in your life since graduating from W&L?

Lisa: Having a child – it makes you reprioritize as well as analyze your life!!

6. Are you still involved in lacrosse at all?

Lisa: Yes I still coach Varsity lacrosse at NDP here in Baltimore – it is a great spring job and I love being around the girls and the game! It is amazing to have seen the progress of women’s lacrosse over the years. I am lucky that some of my players have ended up at W&L, Annie Rochfort, Daley Formby and Rachel Wallick to name a few.

7. Have you made it back to campus recently?

Lisa: Not too recently but my husband (Tom ’91) and I are hoping to get down there and see the new Wilson field and all the changes this spring!

8. Do you keep in touch with your fellow Generals Alums?

Lisa: Definitely. Baltimore is W&L north in a lot of ways so I am fortunate to see a lot of Generals on a regular basis. As for my former teammates, we still email and facebook and laugh about our old antics.

9. Anything else you'd like Generals' fans, players or parents to know?

Lisa: Just what a great experience W&L was and how much I loved playing D3 sports. It enabled me to become a bigger impact player without sacrificing my “life” to the sport. And how happy I am to have seen the women's lacrosse program’s continued success over the years – it was fun to have been there in the beginning!