Monday, December 14, 2009

Sarah Tilbor '08's Life in Washington DC

This week we spoke with 2008 graduate Sarah Tilbor about living and working in D.C. and her continued involvement in and love for lacrosse:
1. How long have you been living in D.C.?
Sarah: I have been living in DC since graduation from W&L in June 2008.
2. What are you doing there?
Sarah: I am working as an environmental consultant at a DC-based company. My main client is Department of Energy. I set up trainings and collect data for industrial energy efficiency. We just started a new contract for “Save Energy Now,” which was launched in early December at the Capitol.
3. What's your favorite thing about living there?
Sarah: My favorite thing about being in DC is being surrounded by all different cultures. I love running to Dupont then up Massachusetts Avenue, which is lined with Embassies. I can eat any kind of food any day of the week… it is GREAT!
4. What do you like to do in your free time and on weekends?
Sarah: It depends on the time of year. I enjoy trying new restaurants/types of food and music venues/music. The music scene is awesome; it is great to have so many options every night of the week. I also enjoy getting out of the city to hike and camp. DC is only an hour and a half from the Shenandoah National Park, which has some great hikes!
5. Have you kept in touch with your '08 class?
Sarah: I have! I love keeping in touch with everyone in my class. Every time I talk to someone new, there is a new adventure – new job, new goal, new location. One is a banker, lacrosse coach, Peace Corp volunteer… it is so interesting and inspirational to see how lives can change in such a short time. I have had the opportunity to visit with almost all of my teammates since graduation, including a trip out to Colorado to see Bender and Katherine.
6. Have you stayed involved in lacrosse in some way?
Sarah: Have I ever! I currently coach a competitive club team in the DC-Metro area called Capital Lacrosse Club. Many W&L girls played in similar leagues while in high school. This team takes up much of my free time during the fall and summer. I also coach private lessons for goalies in the area. It has been interesting seeing the other side of the recruiting process. And I love seeing the W&L coaches at tournaments. Whenever I see a Trident, my smile widens.
7. What is the biggest thing you miss about W&L?
Sarah: I miss being in such close proximity to so many of my best friends. I miss waking up and being able to jump on my teammates and friends to rally them for the day. I miss the close proximity to the mountains. But mostly, I miss my best friends.
8. Plan to make it back on campus for a game in the spring?
Sarah: I do! I plan on getting to a few games close to DC and I plan on visiting for ODACs!
9. Anything else you would like Generals players, parents or fans to know?
Sarah: Generals – don’t put off the things you want to do while at college. Life after college isn’t as bad as you think. But it isn’t like W&L. Live it up and love the process. It’s a great day to be a General! L4L!