Monday, February 8, 2010

Meet the First-Years: Elizabeth Bucklee '13

Lexington is quite the winter-wonderland these days! Despite many conflicts that the weather has presented us, our team is getting things done to the best of our abilities. Between wall-ball, pool workouts and 6AM practice, we have pushed through and gotten a lot accomplished to be ODAC Champs!

This week we're continuing to introduce the First-Years. Here's a little bit about Elizabeth Bucklee (Princeton, NJ / Stuart Country Day School) and how she's enjoying her first year at W&L:

1. What made you choose W&L?
Elizabeth:
I chose W&L because of the strong academics, the lacrosse team, and the feeling around campus. It is such a great atmosphere because everyone is happy to be here and truly loves this school. The academics at W&L are challenging but professors want to help you succeed and will do what they can to make sure you are doing your best.

2. How is your second semester going so far?
Elizabeth: I love being back on campus - I missed it while I was back home over Winter Break! I'm really enjoying my second semester classes and my History 108: America from 1877 to present is my favorite one so far.

3. What is the hardest thing you’ve had to adjust to as a college freshman?
Elizabeth:
The hardest thing about being a college freshman is realizing that you are responsible now for everything you need to get done. From laundry to deciding what classes to take and what to do when you run out of shampoo, you have to take the initiative to stay on top of everything. You have to become very independent very fast!

4.Whats been the easiest?
Elizabeth:The easiest adjustment for me at college was with my roommate. We clicked from the very beginning in September and are still best friends! She has never seen a lacrosse game before so I can't wait to introduce her to the sport at our first home game!

5.What are your hobbies outside of lacrosse/field hockey?
Elizabeth:
I really enjoying doing community service work. I was very involved in community service during high school and my past summers and so I am excited that I am going to lead the W&L D.C. Pre-Orientation trip this August!

6.Where do you live in campus?
Elizabeth:
I live on the 3rd floor of Graham-Lees which is a First Year dorm right on campus. It is close to D-Hall, the library, and classes so it is really the perfect location!

7.Where is your favorite place to eat in Lexington?
Elizabeth:
My favorite place to eat in town is at Blue Sky. It's a fun place to have lunch with friends and they have amazing sandwiches and salads!

8.Is Lexington a lot different than where you’re from?
Elizabeth:
Lexington is not very different from Princeton because both are university towns with little boutique shops and cute places to eat. Both towns have a lot of character but Lex is much smaller!

9.What are you most excited for this season?
Elizabeth: I'm really looking forward to our games, of course, but also to all of our scrimmages during February Break. It will be a good chance to really put into practice everything we've been working on in pre-season and to play against other teams before our first official game. I'm the most excited to hold the ODAC trophy in May!!!