Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Generals' Reviews - The Southern Inn

The next restaurant on our list is a Lexington tradition that rose from the ashes not long ago.  After a fire shut the restaurant down for almost a year, our sophomores, including reviewer Kirby Taylor '15, were able to enjoy the Southern Inn from the first day they stepped on campus!

The Southern Inn is a semi-casual restaurant located in the middle of Main Street, just a few short blocks from the freshmen dorms. You can order anything from a delicious, traditional American hamburger to a grilled flat iron steak and roasted duck. The prices are very fair and affordable, especially for the great quality of food! It's a great place to go with friends for a nice birthday dinner or even a nice, semi-casual date. Personally, I love going there with my parents when they come down to visit. My dad loves the Southern Inn, and I love being fed a delicious meal for free!    


They always have fresh fish specials, which is usually what I order. They always have salmon; you can get the salmon entree or even get salmon on a salad or in a sandwich- all of which are excellent! It's so nice to enjoy some fresh fish after eating the dining hall food for such a long time, where fish is rarely ever an option. I live near the shore and the Chesapeake Bay, so I was always able to take full advantage of always having the option of eating seafood- and fish is definitely my favorite thing to eat!

The duck is excellent, and the fried chicken is the best I have ever had- I usually don't even like fried chicken, but here it is so good! They even have some nice vegetarian options, such as the falafel- it is light yet quite filling and very tasty! They offer four different types of salads, all of which you can get as a side salad or as an entree. My personal favorite is the spinach salad- the poppy seed dressing is so light and refreshing! All of the appetizers are very unique- the spring rolls are just as good as any spring rolls you would order at an Asian cuisine and the spinach-artichoke dip is very rich and tasty!

The Southern Inn is a very cool place because I can take a shower after a practice or game and throw on some shorts and a t-shirt and meet my parents there for dinner without feeling underdressed or out of place. I could also put on a nice dress and boots, which is what most people do. Overall, the Southern Inn is an excellent restaurant to enjoy a nice dinner and evening with family or friends! 

Thanks to Kirby for filling us in on all the delights the Southern Inn has to offer!