Monday, September 8, 2008

Meet Tri-Captain Colleen Evans






Name: Colleen Evans
Class: 2009
Hometown: Lexington, VA
High School: Rockbridge County
Uniform #: 20
Majors: Journalism & Mass Communication



What led you to attend and play lacrosse at W&L?
-I started my college career at Bucknell, but after a year realized it was not the fit I was looking for. I wanted a program steeped in tradition that offered a balance between academics and athletics. W&L definitely offers all of that. It felt natural returning to W&L to play after growing up in Lexington and watching my sister play for the team. W&L has always felt like home and now being a part of a very respected program makes it all the more special.

How did you spend this past summer?
-I interned as a reporter for The Roanoke Times in Roanoke, Virginia.

What is the best class you have taken so far at W&L? Why?
-Hispanic Feminisms with Prof. Mayock. There were only three of us in the class, but it was interesting to study such a volatile region of the world with a focus on the role and development of women.

What is your favorite non-lax activity at W&L?
-The Trident newspaper. Both writing and editing. It's a lot of work, time and responsibility, but it's fun to see a finished project every week that lets me put all my training from classes to good use.

Best W&L lax memory?
-Beating Middlebury last season! The entire game was such a fun one to play from beginning to end. We connected as a team and played at such a high level for all 60 minutes. It was such a team victory!

What does W&L lax mean to you?
-For me, W&L lax means opportunity. The opportunity to do something great for the university, to help lead and bring together a group of girls who have become some of my closest friends, and the opportunity to push myself to be the best lacrosse player I can.


Check back next week for an interview with captain Katie Flippen!