Monday, September 15, 2008

Meet Tri-Captain Katie Flippen






Name: Katie Flippen
Class: 2009
Hometown: Norfolk, VA
High School: Norfolk Academy
Uniform #: 12
Major: Business Administration






What led you to attend and play lacrosse at W&L?
-I always knew I wanted to go to a small school somewhat close to home. Washington and Lee is a wonderful university in Virginia where I would be able to balance my academics and athletics. Playing lacrosse for W&L is exactly what I had hoped for, and I couldn’t be any more proud of my team and or any more happy as a student-athlete at W&L.

How did you spend this past summer?
-This summer I worked at SNL Financial in Charlottesville, VA. I loved the internship and gained valuable experience that was applicable to my studies. Any time I wasn’t at work, I was busy brushing up on my lacrosse skills, going to concerts, spending time at the pool and on the river with friends, bothering Colleen with phone calls, text messages, e-mails, watching the Olympics, and enjoying nights out! I made the most of my last summer before senior year.

What is the best class you have taken so far at W&L- why?
-Volleyball as a PE! I have always appreciated the strategy of volleyball and really enjoy being active. The class had me laughing all of the time. The “real” classes that I have liked the most have been Finance with Prof. Schwartz, because he made an intimidating, complex topic become very interesting and fun. I also enjoyed Business Ethics with Prof. Jackson because we always had so much to talk about- it was never boring.

What is your favorite non-lax activity?
-I love to spend any nice day outside, whether it’s walking along the river, swimming at Panther Falls, hiking House Mtn., or tubing down the Maury. When it’s not the best weather, you can bet that I’m making time for a nap!

Best W&L Lax memory?
-My best memory is the build-up and the pay-off of the last week in March of this past season. Our team worked really hard training in the winter and had an immense amount of focus throughout the season. We played three incredibly difficult games in a less than a week at the end of March, including one of our proudest moments- defeating a highly-ranked Middlebury by a large margin on our home field. Of course our pre-game, locker-room dance parties, being ODAC champions for three years, and getting our highest national ranking ever this past year are all topping my list too.

What does W&L Lax mean to you?
-Being a part of this team has been by far one of the best experiences I could have asked for in college. Not only have the team and coaches been an incredible group of friends and mentors, but this team is a perfect example of showing how hard work pays off. W&L lacrosse is something I am always proud to say that I am a part of, and I think it gives my life at W&L balance. Every day in the spring, I get to spend several hours outside with my friends playing lacrosse. It’s a time to let all of my other worries go. Lacrosse keeps me grounded and keeps everything in perspective. WOMP!!