Monday, November 3, 2008

Player Spotlight- Junior Britten Mathews




Name: Britten Mathews
Nickname: Brit
Class: Junior
Hometown: Richmond, VA
High School: Collegiate
Uniform #: 17
Majors: Business administration and accounting
Favorite Color: pink
Favorite Food: My mom’s homemade chicken squares



What led you to attend and play lacrosse at W&L?
-My dream since I was in middle school was to play lacrosse at W&L. Knowing it was a phenomenal academic university as well as a winning team was the exact combination I was looking for. I love the Lexington, small town feel as well as the tight knit community that W&L has to offer. I knew the chance to be involved academically, athletically, and socially was a once in a lifetime opportunity. What I did not realize I would gain are the true friendships I have developed with my teammates and the seasons we have shared. The opportunity to play lacrosse is a blessing I could never be more thankful for.

How did you spend this past summer?
-I studied at the London School of Economics for 6 weeks and travelled around Europe.

What is the best class you have taken so far at W&L? Why?
-Marketing- It is fascinating and I love Professor Bower. I find myself analyzing commercials and magazine ads unintentionally, based on what I have learned recently in class. It is incredibly relevant and much more interactive than just reading text books.

What is your favorite non-lax activity at W&L?
-I love taking advantage of the Lexington area with my friends. I really enjoy driving through the countryside and cooking out on fall days. I think Lexington offers an opportunity to enjoy everything that is around us.

What is your favorite Lexington Restaurant? Why?
-The Bistro on Main- I love the bread and it is such a variety of food that I always leave satisfied. Plus it has sweet tea!

Best W&L lax memory?
-Our win against Middlebury in 2008!!!!

What does W&L lax mean to you?
-W&L lacrosse to me means at team of incredible friends who I can count on both on and off the field. A team that has incredible focus and drive towards the same goals, knowing the dedication it takes to get there. W&L is a team that has a passion for both the sport and the school, with true pride in being student-athletes.

What was the last book you read for pleasure?
-I have to be honest about this one- Gossip Girl. It is a wonderful beach read!

Any other fun facts about yourself you’d like to share?
-My favorite places are the beach, my river house, and Chapel Hill, NC. I am a big UNC fan! I also have a miniature beagle named Smith after the legendary UNC basketball coach, Dean Smith.