Monday, November 17, 2008

Player Spotlight - Junior Natalie Herndon


Name: Natalie Herndon
Nickname: Nat
Class: 2010
Hometown: Atlanta, GA
High School: Westminster
Uniform #: 11
Majors: Spanish with a minor in Latin American Caribbean Studies and a certificate in Teacher Education (a mouthful, right?)
Favorite Color: Green
Favorite Food: Chick Fil-a Waffle fries and ice cream (I frequently drive to Roanoke to get them)


What led you to attend and play lacrosse at W&L?
-When I was initially applying to schools, I didn’t even know that I would be capable of playing lacrosse in college. I came from an area where there wasn’t a lot of recruiting done, and unless you’d played your entire life, you probably wouldn’t get seen. However, after my junior year, I realized that I wouldn’t want to give up playing after my senior year. W&L was the perfect place, because it was a small school that allowed me to get involved socially, academically, and athletically. I tried out for the team, and it ended up being the best decision I’ve made yet!

How did you spend this past summer?
-I coached at a couple of lacrosse camps in Atlanta, but mostly I got to see my friends from home. Almost all of my cousins got married this summer, so my family and I also spent a lot of time travelling.

What is the best class you have taken so far at W&L? Why?
-Currently, I’m taking Creative Writing with Professor Gavaler. Initially, I was nervous about taking the class because I’ve never considered myself creative, or a very good writer; however, it has provided a creative outlet and a nice break from an extremely stressful schedule.

What is your favorite non-lax activity at W&L?
-I got involved in W&L’s teaching program at the beginning of my Sophomore year, and ever since then, I’ve been teaching and tutoring at various middle schools in and around Lexington. Currently, I’m teaching at Rockbridge County middle school, and I love getting to spend time with the kids. They are just starting to learn Spanish, so it’s awesome to pass on what I’ve learned. They especially enjoy any tips or strategies to make learning a new language easier. Also, the kids are hilarious, and I end up leaving each day laughing and joking around with them.

What is your favorite Lexington Restaurant? Why?
-Well—the junior class has an attraction to Subway. I don’t know why, but I guess it’s just easy, and who doesn’t love $5 foot longs?

Best W&L lax memory?
-I think my favorite lax memory was seeing our team come together last year. As a sophomore, I could see things that I hadn’t even noticed, or even knew about my freshman year. It was really cool to see the process of everyone figuring out how we worked together best and work together in order to make one, cohesive team. It gave us the confidence to play well because we had worked so hard throughout the season.
Also the Middlebury game was AWESOME!

What does W&L lax mean to you?
-Lacrosse means so many things to me that it is absolutely impossible to describe. I can’t imagine my life without it, or without the people that I’ve become so close to because of it. Lax has also been something that has provided me with something to look forward to everyday during season. It’s a process that allows me to work hard and actually see results as the season goes on. It not only gives me the chance to make lifelong friends, but also makes me a more focused and hard working person.

What was the last book you read for pleasure?
-I read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen recently—it was awesome and I highly recommend it!