Monday, January 5, 2009

Player Spotlight - Sophomore Kate Speare




Name: Kate Speare
Nickname: Speare
Class: 2011
Hometown: Wallingford, Pa
High School: Strath Haven High School
Uniform #: 6
Majors: Possible Business Admin.
Favorite Color: Blue
Favorite Food: Mac and cheese




What led you to attend and play lacrosse at W&L?
-The strong academics, small size and close knit community of W&L were huge factors in my decision to come to school here. I was also interested in playing lacrosse especially for such as successful team like W&L’s. After fall ball freshman year, I knew I wanted to be part of the team. I realized how close and united the team is and I loved both the coach’s and the player’s dedication and enthusiasm.

How did you spend this past summer?
-I spent most of my past summer in my hometown, Wallingford. I spent time with my family, and hung out with my twin brother, Robby. I also got surgery to remove my tonsils and helped out with the Washington and Lee VIP lacrosse camp!

What is the best class you have taken so far at W&L? Why?
-It’s hard to say which class has been my favorite so far because I have enjoyed so many of them. But I especially liked my French culture and civilization class. I learned a lot more about France than I expected and I definitely improved my French.

What is your favorite non-lax activity at W&L?
-Tennis! We just started a club tennis team this year!

What is your favorite Lexington Restaurant? Why?
-Blue sky is one of my favorite restaurants because it has the best sandwiches. Their specials are always really good and it’s close to campus!

Best W&L lax memory?
-Beating Middlebury!!!!

What does W&L lax mean to you?
-To me, W&L lax is a dedicated and committed team that aspires towards common goals. It is a group of motivated girls who love the sport and love playing together. W&L lax is a great experience for me and I’m glad I’m part of such an awesome team!

What was the last book you read for pleasure?
-A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It was really good, almost as good as Kite Runner!

Any other fun facts about yourself you’d like to share?
-I love music and playing the clarinet!