Monday, March 2, 2009

2008 Grads Christine Bender & Kat Michaels Spend Ski Season in Aspen

-What made you decide to take this post-graduation tour out West?
Bender: I couldn't think of a better thing to do with my life. And because one of my favorite roomies was going, I thought why not. It has been one of the best decisions I have ever made (aside from playing lax at W&L). I absolutely love Aspen and am already planning on returning for the summer and probably another winter season.
Kat: I had always wanted to come to Aspen, since my sisters had come out here. It is the best place ever.

-What exactly are you doing?
B: I was working for Powder Pandas at Buttermilk Mountain, teaching 3-6 year-olds how to ski. I also worked at Incline, a ski shop in Snowmass. However, I just got back to Maine and have started my job at Bates...coaching with Brett.
K: Working as a ski professional (meaning ski instructor). I just passed my level 1 certification.
also I am working a a ski rental place called incline ski shop in Snowmass as a cashier/sometimes techie. I baby sit a good deal and I am going to start a lacrosse clinic and camp this spring with Aspen kids.

-What's the coolest thing you've done since arriving there?
B: Obviously being able to ski just about any day was incredible. Some of the highlights were skiing the Highland Bowl, learning to snowboard, our ridiculous Vail trip and having fun people visit! (see picture below of visiting teammate Sarah Tilbor)
K: Watching Bender and Wes and their shenanigans in the streets of Vail!!!!
-What do you miss most about W&L?
B: All things lax. Utah.
K: Utah and the lax team and games. I'm so sad. I am trying to put together a Vail shoot out team this summer.

-Anything you want to say to your former Lax teammates?
B: Love life and don't take it too seriously. Enjoy college (it's awesome) but this just might be better. Come visit us and you'll understand. Good luck with your season!!!
K: Don't get real jobs!!! You would be putting yourself through horrible agony and punishment for no reason. Come out west where ever you think is best for you!!!