Monday, September 7, 2009

Laura Cavanaugh's Summer Interning with Aflac in Baltimore, MD

This summer Senior Defender Laura Cavanaugh (North Harford HS/Pylesville, MD) spent some valuable time as a marketing intern in the D.C. Area. Laura gave us some good insight into what she learned there and a brief glimpse of her summer outside of work as well.

1) What are you doing this summer and what made you decide to take this position?
Laura: I am doing an internship with Aflac (yes, the duck hehe) in Marriotsville, MD. The internship is partly marketing-oriented, a field that I am very interested in pursuing after college. I am a business major and thought that an internship this summer would be the best way to alleviate some of the anxiety of taking the plunge into the real world following graduation in June.

2) When did you begin your job and how long were you working this summer?
Laura: My job began in the beginning of June and I worked until mid-August.

3) Where did you live?
Laura: I lived at home (probably for the last time ever!)

4) What did your normal day look like?
Laura:
My morning normally started in the office, making calls and doing paperwork. Then, a fellow intern and I drove around the Maryland/DC area and either marketed to new business owners or enrolled employees in insurance plans.

5) What was the best part of your job?
Laura: The best part of my job so far was meeting so many interesting people. I met individuals from a variety of vocations- from bus drivers, electricians, construction workers to CEOs and presidents of companies!

6) What was the most challenging part of your job?
Laura: The most challenging part of my job was getting over the fear factor of talking to complete strangers about Aflac. It definitely taught me to be more confident and realize that everyone, no matter what their title, is human and are not unwilling to help someone out.

7) Anything else you'd like to share with your teammates or other blog readers?Laura: Here's a picture of a neat (but scary!) little plane I took to Nantucket last weekend.