Monday, December 22, 2008

Player Spotlight - Sophomore Kate Donnelly






Name: Kate Donnelly
Class: Sophomore 2011
Hometown: Houston, TX
High School: St. John’s School
Uniform #: 2
Majors: Psychology or Accounting
Favorite Color: Blue
Favorite Food: Tex Mex





What led you to attend and play lacrosse at W&L?
-I wanted to play lacrosse at a high level on a skilled team, but also wanted to be able to get a great education and be able to continue my other hobbies and passions (like field hockey) as well. I came to visit W&L, stayed with a lacrosse player, watched a lacrosse game, and left knowing that W&L was the place for me. Everyone around the campus was extremely warming and friendly, everyone seemed to be having a great time, and the lacrosse team seemed so tight nit and special. I just knew I wanted to be a part of it.

How did you spend this past summer?
-I worked as a camp counselor at Crossroads for Kids’ Camp Wing this summer. It is a summer camp located in Duxbury, Massachusetts for “at risk” inner-city Boston kids. I absolutely LOVED it. I felt like a 12 year old again!

What is the best class you have taken so far at W&L? Why?
-The best class I have taken is by far Poverty and Human Capabilities 101 with Harlan Beckley. It was a hard class with a lot of reading, but I learned so much in the class and I really got to know the professor. It was a seminar with 12 students so it was mainly discussion based. I still go to visit professor Beckley all the time too. I think that the professor has a huge effect on whether or not you like a class.

What is your favorite non-lax activity at W&L?
-Probably Field Hockey! But my favorite non-sport activity is working at the Mountain View Elementary on Friday mornings. It’s nice to get off campus a little and hang out with the cute preschoolers.

What is your favorite Lexington Restaurant? Why?
-D-Hall obviously…JK! I LOVE the Southern Inn bacon cheese burgers. They are by far the best in town. Southern Inn also has a great atmosphere and everything I’ve had on the menu is great.

Best W&L lax memory?
-Oh, that’s a tough question. There are so many great memories! Beating Middlebury last year by 6 goals was pretty amazing. We had worked so hard for that game and we really came together. It was awesome!

What does W&L lax mean to you?
-W&L lax is a chance to work hard and accomplish your goals, to be coached by great coaches, to play a sport you absolutely love, and to befriend a truly fun, hilarious, tight knit, and overall amazing group of teammates.

What was the last book you read for pleasure?
-I just started reading Harry Potter 6. I know I know, I’m a little behind, but I definitely will finish it before the movie comes out. It’s great so far!

Any other fun facts about yourself you’d like to share?
-I’m the only Texan on the team (yes, they have lacrosse in TX). I also play Field Hockey at W&L and love it as well. I also love to sail and used to spend my summers competing all around the east and west coasts.