Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Alumnae Catch Up - Katharine Farrar '11

This week the blog catches up with Lexington native Katharine Farrar!

Dinner at Emmy's house over Feb break!

1.   Name – Katharine Farrar
2.   Graduation Year - 2011
3.   Position - Goalie
4.   Major – Spanish


ODAC Champs 2011!

5.   Where do you live now? – Washington, D.C.
6.   What are you doing now for work? – This past year I worked as an Associate Producer for Univision Deportes down in Miami, FL.  As of a week ago, I moved to D.C. and am now a staff assistant for Eric Cantor (R-VA) in his leadership office.


Hard at work in the office in Miami.

On set at Univision!

7.   Favorite lacrosse memory from W&L? – Beating Middlebury, in Lexington on Watt Field my sophomore year. 
8.   What do you miss most from Lexington? – Well…let’s be honest here.  I am from Lexington so luckily I am never gone too long.  But, when I’m not there, I always miss Blue Sky, Franks, Southern Inn and Pink Hut.  I like to eat.    
     
Hanging out with some W&L laxers in Baltimore - Spring 2012!

9.   How did W&L or your lacrosse experience help prepare you for what you are doing now? – Playing lacrosse at W&L reinforced the importance of time-management and teamwork that is highly desirable in the working world.  While playing lacrosse for my four years, I learned to balance my time between schoolwork, lacrosse, family, friends and other extra-curricular programs that I was a part of at W&L.  I will always be grateful for the time management skills I developed while at W&L as they have most certainly been of great use in the office. 
   The teamwork aspect is something that as an athlete you are familiar with from the first time you join any team, but at W&L teamwork is encouraged across all platforms.  Whether in the classroom, on the field or on stage, W&L provides an environment that supports and promotes teamwork.  Being able to adapt to and collaborate with different people in an effective way is a trait that I feel very lucky to have developed in my time on and off of the lacrosse field at W&L.  


With Wilton at the lacrosse cookout over Alumni Weekend 2012!

10.   If you could have a super power what would it be? – Snapping and having something you want/need appear right then and there.  I’m not sure if that is considered a super power, but it would rock.

A big thank you to Farrar for her great photos and great insight!  We are psyched to have her back a little closer to Lexington, so hopefully we'll see her back on campus even more!